listening: barenaked ladies, maybe you're right
Hello friends! I greet you warmly from my percocet-induced haze here in Calgary. It's been two days since my teeth were unceremoniously yanked from my head, and it has been a bizarre experience.
Monday morning was not fun. I am very, very, very anxious at the dentist and I was not looking forward to this surgery at all. I cried a little bit while the oral surgeon was explaining stuff to me, and a little when I asked the tech if it was okay for me to keep my iPod on. I remember the surgeon putting the IV in my arm and saying "can you feel those drugs kicking in yet?" I said "maybe." He said, "okay, open your mouth." That's the last thing I remember. Apparently, I had a delayed-reaction panic attack AFTERWARDS, according to my father, but leaving the office is somewhat of a blur to me as well.
I have been religiously taking my antibiotics and painkillers, taking lots of naps and watching a loooot of Gilmore Girls. Reading while in the first couple hours of the Percocet makes me go to sleep instantly. One of my painkillers makes me vomit if I don't eat with it - like, literally, take the pill and pound back a bowl of mashed potatoes immediately. Throwing up was big fun while the holes in my mouth were still bleeding.
I have been religiously taking my antibiotics and painkillers, taking lots of naps and watching a loooot of Gilmore Girls. Reading while in the first couple hours of the Percocet makes me go to sleep instantly. One of my painkillers makes me vomit if I don't eat with it - like, literally, take the pill and pound back a bowl of mashed potatoes immediately. Throwing up was big fun while the holes in my mouth were still bleeding.
I've timelined the effects of my painkillers, actually. The first few hours my arms and legs are tingly and feel like someone's poured warm water in them. I get quite sleepy. If I make it through those couple hours without sleeping, I just get high. Quite happy, lots of exclamation marks in my text messages, etc. About 5.5 hours in, they start to wear off. I definitely know when it's time to take painkillers again.
I'm at the point where when I take painkillers my mouth doesn't hurt at all, but I think I've been biting the insides of my cheeks so those are always sore. I ice my face a lot, and use warm compresses as well because the ice makes my muscles lock up. I never got chipmunky - my face looks like I'm a little bloated.
I'm at the point where when I take painkillers my mouth doesn't hurt at all, but I think I've been biting the insides of my cheeks so those are always sore. I ice my face a lot, and use warm compresses as well because the ice makes my muscles lock up. I never got chipmunky - my face looks like I'm a little bloated.
So there's your update from the sickroom! I miss you Edmonton folks. Laura may come to see me in the next couple days though, which would be awesome.
ykylm,
rae


0 comments:
Post a Comment