00:49

Concrete Buildings and Unsure Things

I turn ground into water,
safe highways into sinkholes,
sure things into uncertainties

but that's all right with you, isn't it?
you of the indecision, the first
fledgling to leave the nest but the last
one to fly, you who goes too quickly
and only leaves a note to say your goodbyes and
then comes back when it is almost too late.

and to a girl who breaks concrete buildings into
cracked stone and bricks raining down on the heads of
innocent bystanders offering piles to shore up
what she knows already broke - well,
such volatility of mind is not infantile but romantic
since I break the firm foundations anyway,
might as well build on sand dunes or midnight whispers

besides, I believe in reversible gifts
so perhaps water turns not to ice
which cracks under the weight of promise
but to stone, when
I touch it

unless of course you turn it to air,
which would also be fitting -
a veil of unsure things and decisions you don't stick to,
covering me, the broken, the breaker,
me who believes too quickly words without proof
words which wouldn't stick to a page -
and you, the innocuous Iago, you who are smarter than
you seem, you who leaves nothing to be trusted.

--rachel s. lemke

0 comments: