listening: tegan and sara, call it off
It's hard, to know exactly what to say about my grandfather. I've known him my whole life and yet I don't know very much about him. The best way I can remember him, though, is summed up in what I'm going to say at his memorial on Thursday, and today in honour of Gordon Robert Rae, I'd like to share that with you as well.
It's not much, but I think my grandfather would have appreciated that.
I remember my Grampa as getting involved and staying involved in his family's life. I can remember him coming to at least one dance recital, even though it was in Calgary, as well as zipping around the slough on "Pond Patrol" at a family reunion when there was still a lot of little kids running around. I remember driving to Edmonton last summer for a weekend with my friends and planning to visit Grampa on my way into town - he made me call when I got into town and call when I had gotten to my friend's house after our visit. I remember being greeted and quickly directed to the candy bowl every time I visited.
When I think about Grampa, the first thought that comes into my mind is remembering a feeling of quiet. Grampa allowed me to sit and be quiet, especially in the chaotic environments of our larger family gatherings. When I was younger I didn't appreciate this as much, but as I got older, sitting and talking - or, a lot of the time, sitting and not talking- allowed me to have a break and catch my breath. Grampa would listen if you had something to say, but I never felt forced into conversation if I just needed to sit with him.
ykylm,
rae


1 comments:
I'm sorry Rae. He sounds like an amazing man. Be strong tomorrow- I'm praying for you.
Post a Comment