listening: snow patrol, make this go on forever
(note: it was a weird train of thought that got me to this entry, and I don't really even know what it's about...)
I am a firm believer in the 'immersion' method of learning languages. Look how I learned French: deep end of the pool, baby. If I had taken it more seriously at several points along the way, I'd probably have (fewer friends) better French. Ah, speaking French in class...the impossible dream of many an immersion teacher. And France! Speaking French constantly! That's the way to learn. Even with Spanish: I learned so much just being in Mexico and making an effort. I don't SPEAK Spanish by any stretch of the imagination, but I learned so much there. Maybe once I marry rich I'll just go and live in Austria or Germany for a while and learn German that way...definitely will do that for Mexico and Spanish.
I remember how I got here! I was reading a cookbook, and I was thinking about flan, and then custard, and how 'creme anglaise' in France is not like English custard, and how my French classmates could tell me the past participle of English verbs that I could obviously use but not conjugate...and how none of them but Roxane could actually speak English. That was the train of thought.
ykylm,
rae


0 comments:
Post a Comment