(listening: lifehouse, everything/no doubt, ex-girlfriend)
what happens when we buy our English textbooks.
John Donne - The Good Morrow
I wonder, by my troth, what thou and I
Did, till we loved? Were we not weaned till then,
But sucked on country pleasures, childishly?
Or snorted we in the seven sleepers' den?
'Twas so; but this, all pleasures fancies be.
If ever any beauty I did see,
Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee.
And now good morrow to our waking souls,
Which watch not one another out of fear;
For love all love of other sights controls,
And makes one little room an everywhere.
Let sea-discoverers to new worlds have gone,
Let maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown,
Let us possess one world; each hath one, and is one.
My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
Where can we find two better hemispheres
Without sharp North, without declining West?
Whatever dies was not mixed equally;
If our two loves be one, or thou and I
Love so alike that none do slacken, none can die.
Margaret Atwood - Variations on the word 'Love'
This is a word we use to plug
holes with. It's the right size for those warm
blanks in speech, for those red heart-
shaped vacancies on the page that look nothing
like real hearts. Add lace
and you can sell
it. We insert it also in the one empty
space on the printed form
that comes with no instructions. There are whole
magazines with not much in them
but the word love, you can
rub it all over your body and you can
cook with it too. How do we know
it isn't what goes on at the cool
debaucheries of slugs under damp
pieces of cardboard? As for the weed-
seedlings nosing their tough snouts up
among the lettuces, they shout it.
Love! Love! sing the soldiers, raising
their glittering knives in salute.
Then there's the two
of us. This word
is far too short for us, it has only
four letters, too sparse
to fill those deep bare
vacuums between the stars
that press on us with their deafness.
It's not love we don't wish
to fall into, but that fear.
This word is not enough but it will
have to do. It's a single
vowel in this metallic
silence, a mouth that says
O again and again in wonder
and pain, a breath, a finger-
grip on a cliffside. You can
hold on or let go.
Margaret Atwood - Variations on the Word 'Sleep'
I would like to watch you sleeping,
which may not happen.
I would like to watch you,
sleeping. I would like to sleep
with you, to enter
your sleep as its smooth dark wave
slides over my head
and walk with you through that lucent
wavering forest of bluegreen leaves
with its watery sun and three moons
towards the cave where you must descend
towards your worst fear
I would like to give you the silver
branch, the small white flower, the one
word that will protect you
from the grief at the centre
of your dream, from the grief
at the centre. I would like to follow
you up the long stairway
again & become
the boat that would row you back
carefully, a flame
in two cupped hands
to where your body lies
beside me, and you enter
it as easily as breathing in
I would like to be the air
that inhabits you for a moment
only. I would like to be that unnoticed
& that necessary.
(oh, I want to put margaret atwood - interlunar on here too, but it's so long. look it up!)
Michael Ondaatje - Bearhug
Griffin calls to come and kiss him goodnight
I yell ok. Finish something I'm doing,
then something else, walk slowly round
the corner to my son's room.
He is standing arms outstretched
waiting for a bearhug. Grinning.
Why do I give my emotion an animal's name,
give it that dark squeeze of death?
This is the hug which collects
all his small bones and his warm neck against me.
The thin tough body under the pajamas
locks to me like a magnet of blood.
How long was he standing there
like that, before I came?
George Elliott Clarke - Paris Annapolis
There is a light in Paris - Baudelaire's
Or Rimbaud's - that cuts like grey Pernod
Drizzling misery in the brain. You pick
It up in smeared glasses, blurry with tears _
The glycerine light of memory, pale,
Unstable, unholy water, panicked
As paeans and elegies to how Love
Perishes in a thousand sins, famous
And rehearsed, the way it always must die.
Once I floated along the Seine, my brain
Pickled wicked on Belgian beer that's ten
Percent alcohol, and I wrote of her,
And the river cried out to me to drown.
I came here to this valley, to forget -
To lush pastures, to forget a parched love.
But that spectacular, parrhesian light -
The Parisian light of the Annapolis
Valley, that frosty brightness lilting
Over Gothic orchards, gargoyle apple trees
Reaped by apocalyptic autumn,
A thousand white, clapboard Notre Dames
Pastelling the Annapolis as the Seine,
That river, queasy like the Quai d'Orsay -
Shines her image upon my welling heart
That brims at Heaven like a word-swamped page,
Brooking a delirium that banks clouds
(Their liquid palimpsests), and asks that soul
Steep under unadulterate Beauty.
And I sink, eying Gallic moonlight sculpt
An Arc de Triomphe from frank, conjucting trees
From this flaming stream, a Champs Elysees
Or an ash-white Napoleonic tomb.
ykylm,
rae


0 comments:
Post a Comment